1. The Competition is open to all instrumentalists, pianists and singers, except for organists, of any nationality who are at least 18, no longer in Full Time Secondary Education and no older than 25 (28 for singers) on 31st August 2023.
2. Applications can be completed online
or submitted by post. Applications must be received no later than 16.00 hours on Sunday, 16th April 2023. The BIMC will notify you as soon as practical on 30th April as to whether you have been selected for the Preliminary Round.
3. Applicants must have already attained a high professional standard as solo performers. Applicants' entries must be accompanied by the following:
- Two short video recordings (no longer in total than 10 minutes length) in the format set out in the Application Form of them performing two pieces or excerpts from two pieces, of contrasting styles.
- A recent hi-resolution photograph of themselves suitable for inclusion in the programme.
- A detailed C.V. of their musical career under the given headings provided in the application form:-
A. MUSICAL EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS & PRIZES;
B. SOLO EXPERIENCE;
C. ORCHESTRAL EXPERIENCE (if applicable);
D. OTHER EXPERIENCE
- A formal reference from their instrumental teacher, confirming that their musical standard and solo recital experience are appropriate for entry to the competition under Rule 3. (Your teacher can send this direct to email@example.com
with subject line “Applicant's name – BIMC Musical Standard Reference”.)
- Proof of age – photo/scan of passport, national ID card or driving licence.
4. Applicants are required to submit the programme of music they intend to play in all three rounds of the Competition in which they may be selected to play. Each programme must include pieces of contrasting styles and periods. One piece only may be included in both programmes. The music chosen for performance in the Finalists' Concert should seek to engage and be accessible to a live public audience. All music chosen is subject to approval by the Competitor's Selectors. Your programme for each round must not exceed the following time limits:
- Preliminary Round: 15 minutes (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday)
- Semi-Finals: 20 minutes. (Friday)
- Final (Finalists’ Concert) 25 minutes. (Saturday evening)
It is stoingly recommended that Competitors keep to these time limits. Significant overruns may result in the performance being halted.
5. Competitors selected for the Preliminary Round must bring with them three photocopies of a score, including accompaniment, of each piece of music to be performed during each round of the Competition. Whilst facilities for photocopying are available at Routh Concert Hall, copies must be paid for in advance in cash at a rate of £0.05p per page. The relevant copies must be handed in to the administration desk of Routh Concert Hall for the Adjudicators' use on the day of the Competitor's first performance (not before) and on the day of any subsequent performance. For the avoidance of doubt, it is the Competitor’s personal responsibility to ensure that there is no infringement of copyright in the submission and/or use of any photocopy.
6. The programme of music the competitor has selected to perform in any round of the Competition must be entered on the Application Form
7. Competitors may change their programme for any round up to 24 hours prior to the start of the Competition.
8. Competitors are strongly encouraged to bring their own regular accompanist (See Rule 13). The Applicant must fill in the accompanist's name and their mobile phone number on the application form.
9. Competitors who wish to have the facility of an official accompanist must indicate that request on the Application Form. There will be a charge of £50 for this service and arrange with their allocated accompanist any rehearsal times. Fees for any performer who reaches the final will be by agreement with the Competition Administrator. Charges will be deducted from Prize monies.
10. A Bosendorfer grand piano is provided; it will only be available to solo pianists for limited periods for rehearsal at times allocated on application made to the Routh Hall manager after the competitor is in residence. Other pianos will be available in Practice Rooms available to all competitors on a similar basis. Competitors must bring any other instrument they wish to perform on.
11. Competitors will be advised on 30th April whether they have been selected for Preliminary Round and the date and time of their performance. Similarly, shortly after the end of the Semi-Final Round, competitors will be informed of those through to the Final Round. The playing order of competitors for both the live rounds will be determined by the Competition Administrator whose decision shall be final.
12. There is an entry fee for applicants of £75. This should be paid online via the Application Form or, in the event of difficulty, payment can be made directly to the BIMC bank account (Sort Code 30-63-94) and Account Number 30002260).
In case of difficulty, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
. The entry fee must be in our bank account within 7 days after the closing date for entries for your application to be considered. The entry fee for the applicant will be refunded if their entry is not accepted. If the entrant is accepted as a Competitor for the Preliminary Round, the fee will be non-refundable.
13. Competitors and their accompanists will be accommodated without charge for the duration of the competition mainly in ensuite rooms at Bromsgrove School, providing a request is made in the Application Form. They will also be provided with meals. They may arrive during the day before they are due to play in the Semi-Final Round (see Rules 14 & 15). If eliminated, competitors will be able to stay until the following morning after their elimination when they will be expected to leave by 10.00 hours unless otherwise by agreed with the Competition Administrator.
14. Competitors must arrive between the hours of 09.00 and 20.00 hours and at least two hours before their allocated performance time. If they arrive on a competition day, they must give notice of their arrival at the administration desk in the entrance of the Routh Concert Hall.
15. Competitors are responsible for their own transport to and from the competition but collection at no charge from Bromsgrove Train Station is available if required. On-site parking is available for competitors who come by car. The Sat Nav postcode to use is B61 7HP. Parking may be used throughout the competitor's stay but is at their own risk.
16. Competitors are solely responsible for the care and security of their instrument(s). They should make sure that any insurance of their instrument is valid throughout the time they take part in the competition and/or during the time they spend on Bromsgrove School’s premises. Neither the BIMC nor Bromsgrove School accept any liability in respect of any damage to any of their property including their instrument whether caused accidentally or negligently whilst it is on Bromsgrove School’s premises.
17. Competitors and Accompanists whilst taking part in the competition will obey all reasonable restrictions in place whether laid down by Government or the Governors of Bromsgrove School for the protection of health and safety. The BIMC and the Governors of Bromsgrove School reserve the right to ask any competitor or accompanist who disobeys such restrictions to leave the school premises immediately and refusal shall be deemed trespass.
18. Competitors agree unconditionally that their competition performance(s) may be recorded or broadcast in any media form by The Bromsgrove International Musicians’ Competition for use at the Trustees’ discretion wholly or in part, without payment of any fee to the competitor, to promote the Competition and/or to raise funds to support the Competition. For the avoidance of doubt, copyright in such recordings shall be the intellectual property of The Bromsgrove International Musicians’ Competition.
19. Competitors may purchase a copy of their recorded performance(s) during the Competition. Applications may be made online after the end date of the Competition to email@example.com
. Payment of £30.00 GBP per round recording must be received via the online SmugMug payment service or through the BIMC bank account sort code 30-63-94; account no. 30002260 before the recording can be downloaded. Please allow 14 days from the date of payment for the download to be available. For the avoidance of doubt, such recordings are supplied strictly for the Competitor's personal use only. If required for public performance of any kind - which includes use by the Competitor on their own website - then it is the Competitor's responsibility to contact the PRS.
20. Competitors agree that their email addresses may be passed onto other competitors unless competitors indicate otherwise in their Application Form.
21. No competitor shall contact the media for the duration of the competition.
22. As a matter of custom and rule, no past first prize winner may enter the Competition in a subsequent year.
23. The Bromsgrove International Musicians’ Competition reserves the right to amend any of the entrance qualifications and rules stated.